Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Texting and Driving

Texting and driving is dangerous yes but what really should be illegal is driving with children! I could text a 3000 word essay while driving and it would be safer than being in the car with my kids. It's unreal the things they expect you do be able to do.

We only live 4 hours from home so driving home is a normal thing. More often than not my husband is with me and it makes for a louder but some what easier drive. My kids are normally awesome aside from my eldest who believes she is starving and thirsting to death within the first 20 minutes. We have a rule that we cant start a movie until we get on the "big highway" also known as 45 minutes into the drive. Bentley is addicted to the TV in the car but I rarely give in to watching it on a normal day out.

I went home this past weekend on a last minute trip and those normally go pretty well because they aren't dreading the car we just hop in and go. Our trip there was PERFECT. Movie didn't start until we got on the highway, 2 kids fell asleep, we didn't hit traffic, and the best part is we did NOT stop. No one had to pee. It was great. I was so impressed.

Our trip home in general was a scream fest. I'm not sure what their problems were but when my Mom can't get them to stop and they act that way around her then you know its bad. The oldest screamer has such an attitude problem lately that I'm ready to ship her to Marine boot camp and wish her luck. (and I don't even like girls in the Marines but I think that's my last hope with her right now.) The time change royally messed us all up. The kids never sleep at home. No clue why, they just don't. Which I suppose is why they are all such basket cases while visiting.

But lets get to my point of why it should be illegal to drive with children....

On the way home I was exhausted beyond belief. All I wanted to do was get home and get in bed. It was a long weekend of coming and going and being here and there. I got on the road an hour after the time I had hoped to be. I was like oh lord I am never making it back. The first 60 minutes were the longest of my life, it dragged on for days. Kylie was screaming she was hungry over and over. I stop for gas because I saw it was $3.58 which is so sad that, that is cheap gas! Then I stopped a few exits down at Starbucks. I needed it. My kidney hated me but I finally wasn't nodding off while driving. Which by the way would of been impossible because Bentley so graciously dropped his paci a good 4000x! I wish I was exaggerating. He would throw it in the most god awful places. The never ever places of reaching for the driver. At one point my pedals were all the way up and my seat was all the way back just so I could reach the stupid thing. But if you have kids who have paci's you know what its like to have to listen to them scream for the dumb thing. How can one piece of freaking plastic be so awesome?! I would normally travel with at least 2 for this reason alone but we have lost all paci's and I refuse to buy more because I am done with the thing. When we stopped at Starbucks I grabbed a fruit cup for the kids. I thought oh this will be good healthier choice than most. But what I did not take into account is my car is a bus. Kylie sits a good 6 to 7 feet away from me. I can guarantee there are about 6 grapes she did not catch that are rotting in my car currently. Delainey joined in by dropping her blanket over and over.

Kylie wanted a pencil. I threw one to her and she didn't catch it. I said " Oh man you should learn to catch a little better since you sit back there." Her response, " No Mom you can't throw." I wanted to pull over and smack her but I refrained. She has my attitude and it kills me.


 It felt like I could not drive. Like someone wanted something at all times. That shit is dangerous. Screw the perfect car seat for them. I need a 5 point harness and possibly a beer to get through a road trip.



3 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm Janelle, and I found your blog while searching for military spouse blogs. I am marrying my Airman next year, and I'm really glad I found your blog! I can't wait to read more! Consider me your newest follower! :)

    Janelle ( http://janelle-and-dan.blogspot.com/ )

    ReplyDelete
  2. If this isnt the complete truth, I don't know what is!! My kids don't have paci's anymore ... but they are always throwing something and wanting me to fetch it. And that darn DVD player -- ugh. If I DO turn something on for them so they will be quiet and calm while driving, it never fails that it ends when I am in the busiest traffic full of the worst drivers known to man and need to be on my game, and the kids are SCREAMING for me to restart the movie, change the movie, OMGMOM Its a BLACK SCREEN! I keep threatening to go places and leave them at home ... and then I remember I'm a stay at home mom and my husband works all day. So there is no one to stay with them. ::sigh::

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a new follower and fellow military spouse...love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete