Monday, February 27, 2012

Friends and Finances

I've sat down to write this post quite a few times. It's impossible to not sound crazy and conceded so forgive me.

Finances is one of those things you just don't openly discuss with every person you talk to. Danielle and Kelly could ask me the exact number in my bank account that second and I would gladly tell them. There are other people who I'd be embarrassed to tell them or others who I would feel guilty for telling them. Then there are those people who you could care less what they think of your money yet you never say exact numbers.

For a few years I stressed over how little money we had. One day I woke up to realize my bills were paid, there was a roof over our head and food on the table, why in the world was I stressing? I'd be lying if I said I didn't want more money than we have. I'm guilty of liking the finer things the world has to offer. Ritz over a Hilton and Coach over Target bags. I get it honestly from my mom.

When we say that we are broke, we aren't. If our checking account gets lower than $2000 we consider our selves broke and stop spending as if we had money. It's how I have always been. It's almost like putting a cap on your bank account. It's worked for us. Ryan is stingy with his money and very cheap. He would go through hoops to save a few dollars. Where as I go out of my way to spend more than I should. {Not really but I swear there could be a sale on something until Friday and I'd buy it on Saturday} But I am also the laziest person in the world and sometimes don't leave the house for 2-3 days not spending a dime. We have honestly made some smart financial decisions. My husband doesn't trust me on these decisions until it does work out but I am very good with these things. When I sold my Pacifica while he was in the field I thought he was going to kill me. He did not think it was smart, thought I should keep the car and some how shove 3 kids in it. I however knew what I was doing. We paid off the car, sold it 2 weeks later and he deployed 2 months later. I then drove his car for 9 months while he was deployed. Someone said that buying the Yukon XL wasn't practical and not a good decision. I have 3 kids who are all in carseats. I take a double stroller everywhere I go. We are moving 4 hours from family and need the "luxury" {dvd player/tv}things my car has to offer. I'm pretty sure the car is practical in my life. I squished 3 kids in the Charger for 4 months to be able to get the exact car I wanted. I wasn't willing to give in and get a car I didn't love. I love my car and the car payment is only $300 for 36 months. Reasonable if I do say so my self.

People can say they aren't jealous of the things my family gets but it's clear to me they are. I too use to be jealous of things other people had. It took me a long time to over come that jealousy. All people have financial highs and lows. Our husbands could have the exact same job but our incomes can still be different, as well as our tax return. It's a fact of life. Everyone is different. It's what makes the world such an interesting place. So my point of writing on this topic is to say there's no sense in ever being jealous of me or in fact anyone. EVERYONE will struggle physically, mentally or financially at some point in their lives. Be grateful for the things you are blessed with rather than gripe over the things you can not have.

Hey were homeless and were doing okay. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment